Well, I wasn’t really satisfied with the first prototype for the Black Knights. I wanted something a little more unique then basically a weapon-swapped chaos marine. I also would like more details but without all the work. Aaand I happen to really like the grey knight models. So I cooked up an idea to convert them for use as Black Knights. Some time with a file, greenstuff, exacto-saw, superglue and some pinning later…
For refference, side by side with the 1st prototype after I head-swapped it…
I plan to paint the armor metallic black, red trim and glowy red rune insciptions, silver iconography for normal knights and gold for the squad leaders. And paint the “purity” seals up like heretical prayers scribed on the flayed flesh of their enemies. The skull on the chest center might get an actual bone paint job as the skull of great foe slain by the suit’s wearer that earned him the right to join the Black Knights. Skulls of Grey Knights being particularly prestigious.
Well, it seems it decided to eat some posts. That’s annoying. all set now, though.
Lately it’s been a question of just what I want to work on. There’s the chaos marine footslogging army that still needs some paint. There’s an inquisition army waiting in the wings. There’s an Ork army that only lacks 4 vehicle models to have everything I need to build it. And there’s more chaos marine ideas to work on, too. And let’s not forget the Warmachine army that’s been languishing for some time now (never seem to find enough local players!)
I’ve about come to the conclusion I should try to stick with chaos marines. They’re the only 40k army I’ve never seriously considered getting rid of, and they do still offer a lot of neat modelling options, even if a lot of them got gutted from the codex with the last rendition.
Among the chaos projects hitting the table is a revival of the sculpted daemon princess. That project got buried (figuratively and litterally) some time ago when I started trying to avoid the Lash-prince because it just felt so darn cookie-cutter. That’s more or less a death-knell o my interest when it because a sea of sameness. However, it’s still useful for any other prince version, and unlike the idea I have of using Monique de Noir from Reaper minis, it’d actually be tournament legal (yay for greenstuff casting hybrids!).
To that end I’ve started poking around with some more sculpting supply options. I’ve basically given up on attempts at mold-making with Flex Rubber. It’s just to darned time-consuming and labor-intensive. Back to good old OOMOO for me. I’ve heard something like a Mold Max 1000 latex compound is good, but haven’t found a good supplier yet. Ah well. As an added bonus, the extra supplies will give me the chance to refine my molding and casting techniques for customized bases. I’m trying to nail down a good consistent result and it’s basically going to require 2-part molds instead of the 1-parters I’ve been using. Hence, I need more molding material.
Yay! More Conversions on the Cheap! When building a horde, it always helps to cut costs. especially with GW promising another price increase of up to 25% on most of thier inventory come June 1st.
So I picked up a box of Assault on Black Reach for my upcoming Ork army. Obviously we’re already looking at “on the cheap” by using this set heavily. I need ork nobz with power claws, ‘eavy armor, and bosspoles for the mobs of boyz. AoBR gives the boyz, and some nobz, but the nobz only have slugga and choppa.
I had ideas slated for using everything in the box except the termies. Termies have power fists. A Power Klaw is just a Power Fist by another name. Orks love to loot stuff from defeated enemies. So I chopped up a termie and used chunks of his armor for ‘eavy armor, his power fist is now a bionic replacement for the nob’s hand, and his leg is now on a stick and used as a bosspole.
I’m also doing magnetic parts on each nob to play wound-marker with. In this case he gets a bleeding gaping hole in his back where some loot used to be.
I have 4 spare nobz still. I’m looking at adding a unit of Flash Gitz. Termie guns chopped up and added to sluggas and a few extra wire gubbins should make suitable snazzguns. Some of the ork heads in the AoBR box have bionic eyes already for Git Findas. So I can readily convert up half-a-dozen or so flash gitz with another AoBR box. All sorts of fun to be had!