Tag Archives: modelling

CotC: Eldar Pathfinder

“Conversions on the Cheap”, or CotC is something I do frequently with whatever bits I happen to have left over. In this case, I had 8 regular guardians still on the sprue and no desire to field a second guardian squad in my eldar corsair army. But, some rangers or pathfinders would be just fine.

A little background before I get too far along: My eldar corsairs are a labor of love, very heavy on greenstuff work and conversions and painted to a higher standard then my chaos marines. The army’s conception came about after reading in the eldar codex that supposedly there were equal numbers of men and women in the eldar army. You’d never know it from the miniatures range though, which is about 95% guys. I had also recently watched an anime series called Sol Bianca about a small band of female space pirates. Cue neat idea… convert up an all-female eldar army, which’ll give it a unique flair, and make it a corsair army as well to twist the theme a bit more.

So, an all-female army means lots of converting, and lots of trouble. Several of the metal minis are in rather difficult positions to be trying to add breasts. Luckily though that’s about all you have to do if the faces are covered since eldar are all pretty lithe to start with. The official ranger / pathfinder minis are made of metal and wear big old camo robes and hold big rifles over their chests. Not exactly prime girlification candidates. But guardians? ¼ of them are girls to begin with (one of 3 units in the codex to sport some boobs).

So I started tweaking a couple guardian models around, adjusting the poses, reconfiguring a few things on the guns to make them look a little more rifle-ish, etc etc. Instead of trying to greenstuff on a bulky cloak, I opted to instead add a lot of flock to their outfits and paint the armor itself to match the dirt and stone the army is based with.

I just wrapped up the first test mini and I think this will work out just fine.



Magnets are my Friends

I just finished assembling a new predator for my chaos marines. Well, mostly, I still need to slap a bunch of spikey bits all over it so I can bleed when I move it like any good chaos player should :p the thing I did with this vehicle, though, is that I magnetized the daylights out of it. In fact, I may yet add a couple more as I put on the spikey bits.

Why? Simple, I learned a lesson from my Defiler. See, I built and glued that sucker back before I really knew about rare earth magnets, or had a clue about the effects of a new codex or rules edition. So, I glued it all together except for using some big weak walmart magnets to attach the turret / head piece for easier storage. The defiler had everything I really wanted, a battle cannon and indirect fire. The Combat options kinda stunk so why would I ever want those bits on it anyway?

Then along came a new codex. Suddenly defilers can’t get indirect fire anymore. Now I can’t sit in back and lob shells, it has to expose it’s pansy AV 12 hide to enemy fire. And there’s no more option to boost that to AV 13 anymore, either. But, now it can actually do well in close combat if you swap out it’s backup weapons that only get used once every 4 games. The thing can even Fleet now! But… I can’t really swap the weapons out for 2 extra CC attacks, because I glued them on in the first place. Crap.

So I spent 30+ hours of painting and a few hours of assembly crafting this defiler to be a big flashy centerpiece of my army, and now with the new codex it’s just a dreadnought with a battle cannon and mediocre melee. Oh, and those backup weapons it’s still unlikely to ever use. Great.

Adding insult to injury is that obliterators are now competing with the defiler for heavy support, and are no longer limited to just 1 unit of them. Those things are made of pure tactical awesome. And everyone (not just Iron Warriors!) now has access to a vindicator with it’s super-cannon for less points then the defiler, and it has better armor and a smaller profile (important in the new edition‘s line of sight rules). So now the poor defiler only hits the table at all anymore because I feel bad to have wasted all that effort on a model and then not use the thing.

And the point of all this? Had I magnetized the weapon options in the first place, I could have swapped in the CC arms and given my old defiler a stronger role in the new codex and edition. I could have kept it more competitive. Instead of languishing and waiting on a replacement to be built and painted.

So now, my new pred can be a rhino or a pred, and it can swap out every currently possible option thanks to magnets. As a bonus, weapon destroyed results can actually have the weapon pop off. Great for keeping things tracked and it can look just plain cool. Add in a couple of magnets on the hull to hold stun / shake / immobilize / destroyed markers and you have a serious game aid built right into the mini. Plus if I want to try a triple-las pred one game then a dakka-pred the next, I don’t have to proxy or shell out an extra $40. Just about $4 in tiny magnets and a little extra assembly time.

Magnets are my friends. 😀